The Red Wings will announce they have signed Zetterberg to a long-term extension. It will be a 12-year deal worth slightly more than $72 million, making it the longest and most lucrative (in total value) contract in franchise history.
The Red Wings were able to lower the salary-cap figure to slightly more than $6 million per season by adding two years at $1 million per season to a 10-year deal they had been negotiating with Zetterberg’s agent, Marc Levine.
Yikes! What a steal for the Red Wings. Assuming he is still playing half as good 10 years from now, they will be paying him only $6 Million per year. The league minimum will probably be that 10 years from now!
The Red Wings just do not play fair. Best run franchise in sports in my opinion. They do everything right.
1. Fastest Skater – Finally this competition was back to normal. Last years method was brutal.
2. Breakaway Challenge – Better, but still not great. They should have had each player go after one another in rapid fire. Having only 1 minute was 1. not enough and 2. too slow in the time it takes to get another puck.
With that said Getzlaf and St. Louis had sick moves, but nothing we have never seen. They still did not prepare for this as well as they could have (see my last post for what is possible to do and I know these NHL players can do these moves.)
Ovechkin was obviously the most entertaining which was great.
3. Accuracy – Awwesome. Malkin and Heatley were sniping left and right!
4. Hardest shot – Awesome. Chara breaking the record and Weber putting up a challenge. Souray was a huge fail though. Expected more from him.
5. Elimination Breakaway Challenge – Fun and done the right way, but would still like to see each guy have 2 eliminations maybe.
Young Stars Game Highlights
Versus sucks! The whole time Versus would show replays of the last goal while the game was going on still.
They also went to commercial and came back after the 2nd period started and they say: “We missed a goal by…”
Then after Marc Staal scored, they zoom in on his face on the bench as someone else scored also.
Versus = Epic Fail!!!
The game night was fun, but hate how they have to hurry it along because they only have an hour or however long for TV purposes.
I would like to see a real Freshman vs. Sophmores game. This would have Toews, Kane, Backstrom, Turris, Mueller, and Ryan thrown in the lineups. But I know the NHL likes every team represented and all that so this is cool I guess.
My only big compalints are:
1. Players who opt out of playing should be punished..Datsyuk, Lindstrom, Backstrom..
2. More events or longer breakaway challenege. Guys like Rick Nash, Mike modano, etc… We only saw in the final Breakaway Challange and most were out after the first shot.